Sculpture and pottery classes

General discussion - "gossip and tittle tattle"
Post Reply
User avatar
Nelson Hatstand
Posts: 359
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 11:14
Location: Marlborough Street

Sculpture and pottery classes

Post by Nelson Hatstand » 17 Mar 2007, 21:58

All this talk about logos has reminded me that I meant to post about my new hobby: sculpture.

I'd been wondering for a while what I could do as a hobby, as I don't really do anything outside of work except come home, see my family, eat some food, then go to bed. A bit of a routine with no creative outlet whatsoever, and one I wanted to break as I trudge inexorably towards the big 4-0, that's 40 stony grey steps towards the box - you know, the grave. Anyway, in October I saw an ad in the Portobello Reporter for sculpting classes run by a lady in Joppa. I phoned up and she had one place left on the course so I paid my cheque, and I was in!

I was quite nervous the first time I went - the only other course i've done as an adult was a b&w photography course at PHS, and I only went twice because the facilities were appalling and I was worried the school was going to fall down around me - but I was welcomed by everyone in the class, and soon got into the swing of things. Everyone there was at a similar level to me, so I didn't feel left out, and we started off with the basics and have moved on to more complex sculpting-stroke-pottery work.

I'm really pleased at this stage of my life that I've found that I possess abilities that I never dreamed I had, and 2 weeks ago the tutor recommended me for a post-grad course at the college of art on lauriston road. Anyway, I went along for an interview - well, it was more like a chat actually - with some photographs of my work, and I was accepted on the course immediately! They think I have a 'unique style!' I cannot even begin to express how good this makes me feel.

So as of September I'm jacking my job in, and taking up this sculpting course full time, after which I'll just see what happens I suppose. The other thing is they put my name forward to some of their sponsors, one of whom was really impressed, and is going to be paying not only my course fees but my living expenses to the tune of £55k a year for 3 years! The last person who she did this for was Anish Kapoor, which is just gobsmackingly mental.

Well, I'm simply thrilled, as you can imagine. I'll post some pics of my work once I can find my camera.

Anyone else do any similar courses?

User avatar
wangi
[admin]
Posts: 3442
Joined: 27 May 2004, 10:37
Contact:

Post by wangi » 17 Mar 2007, 22:26

Sounds exciting, best of luck for the future!

User avatar
Sandra
Posts: 3376
Joined: 17 Nov 2003, 16:50
Location: Portobello

Post by Sandra » 17 Mar 2007, 22:40

Good luck!

I did an art evening class once - drawing on the right side of the brain
http://www.drawright.com/ it was really bizarre and I was crap at it.

Tried to get onto a jewellery workshop but was full, will try again in September.

Going to a kundalini yoga workshop tomorrow :D

User avatar
Skeely
Posts: 173
Joined: 07 Mar 2004, 13:24

Post by Skeely » 17 Mar 2007, 22:47

Gobsmackingly mental indeed! That's great news, and I hope you find the camera soon.

User avatar
Maria
Posts: 4795
Joined: 12 Nov 2003, 19:41
Location: Portobello
Contact:

Post by Maria » 17 Mar 2007, 22:52

Nelson are you taking the proverbial here? You'd never done any sculpture before in your life and after about 20 lessons built up enough of a portfolio to not only get into a post grad course but got yourself patronage of 55k a year for 3 years?? I've got some blutack in my house if you'd like to nip round and create something for me :wink:
www.porty.org.uk

User avatar
Nelson Hatstand
Posts: 359
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 11:14
Location: Marlborough Street

Post by Nelson Hatstand » 17 Mar 2007, 23:02

Marya wrote:Nelson are you taking the proverbial here? You'd never done any sculpture before in your life and after about 20 lessons built up enough of a portfolio to not only get into a post grad course but got yourself patronage of 55k a year for 3 years?? I've got some blutack in my house if you'd like to nip round and create something for me :wink:
How dare you!

Right, I've found me camera.

You ready?




















Snowman, 2006
Image

Dolphin, 2006
Image

Watch (close-up), 2006
Image

Face, 2007
Image

Pooh Bear, 2007
Image

(Sorry Wangi, Sandra and Skeely. I didn't think anyone would believe me, and I was going to draw it out for 3 weeks like the crap cure for baldness thread. But you made me feel bad.)

User avatar
Skeely
Posts: 173
Joined: 07 Mar 2004, 13:24

Post by Skeely » 17 Mar 2007, 23:14

Damn, I did wonder. There's a definite talent there though.

User avatar
Izzie
Posts: 424
Joined: 02 May 2006, 15:53

Post by Izzie » 17 Mar 2007, 23:15

I think the snowman is the best :lol: :lol:

User avatar
arachnid
Posts: 1291
Joined: 10 Jul 2005, 22:33
Location: Linlithgow

Post by arachnid » 17 Mar 2007, 23:18

A work of art!!! :lol:
Could maybe end up Like the angel in Newcastle!!!! :wink:
Perhaps one of them could be put at the top of " Arthur Seat"!!!! :lol:
Why be scared????

User avatar
Bob Jefferson
Posts: 6212
Joined: 11 Dec 2004, 21:16
Location: Planet Porty
Contact:

Post by Bob Jefferson » 17 Mar 2007, 23:20

Plop Art

User avatar
Skeely
Posts: 173
Joined: 07 Mar 2004, 13:24

Post by Skeely » 17 Mar 2007, 23:34

I made a film featuring a similar snowman with my daughter.

User avatar
SoupDragon
Posts: 2201
Joined: 03 Oct 2006, 11:02

Post by SoupDragon » 17 Mar 2007, 23:51

The inspirational use of colour!
The fluid movement!
The duality of form!

Possibly the most important piece of art in Portobello since "trainers on the lampost"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 18 Mar 2007, 09:56

Well I fell for it as well, I was getting all excited reading this thread and all ready to ask if you did commisions :oops:

User avatar
Maria
Posts: 4795
Joined: 12 Nov 2003, 19:41
Location: Portobello
Contact:

Re: Sculpture and pottery classes

Post by Maria » 18 Mar 2007, 10:51

What really gave it away for me was
Nelson Hatstand wrote: I wanted to break as I trudge inexorably towards the big 4-0
What a joker eh?!
www.porty.org.uk

User avatar
Poppy
Posts: 3483
Joined: 08 Feb 2004, 12:02

Post by Poppy » 18 Mar 2007, 11:57

I wasn't fooled - I never believe anything that man says!! :P

And fancy trying to pass off his beloved child's stuff as his own? How low can he sink??? :shock:

User avatar
Sandra
Posts: 3376
Joined: 17 Nov 2003, 16:50
Location: Portobello

Post by Sandra » 18 Mar 2007, 17:48

:lol:

User avatar
magbagpuss
Posts: 270
Joined: 08 Mar 2004, 21:34
Location: Porty High Street / Heaven !

Post by magbagpuss » 18 Mar 2007, 18:40

i believed you ,wot a muppet , like the playdoh though !! sell them to the tate , they have had far more bizzare things :? :oops:
whatever, am i bovvered

User avatar
Epykat
Posts: 3915
Joined: 04 Dec 2003, 22:35
Location: Portobello, Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Sculpture and pottery classes

Post by Epykat » 18 Mar 2007, 22:11

Nelson Hatstand wrote:Everyone there was at a similar level to me
This was when I knew you were talking tosh - nobody is anywhere near a similar level to you :lol:
Enough of your nonsense - get back to the Play Pen!

Post Reply