Place-name Qiz #8

General discussion - "gossip and tittle tattle"
Black Mamba
Posts: 781
Joined: 12 Sep 2006, 22:06

Post by Black Mamba » 26 Nov 2006, 17:41

SoupDragon wrote:Thank you Cleopas for taking the time to make up these quizzes. What a devious and intricate mind you must have. And some of the puns.... :D I do enjoy the quiz though so dont know what that say's about me.
Agree completely with Soupy. Looking forward to the next one. Thanks Cleopas

Cleopas

Post by Cleopas » 26 Nov 2006, 17:44

I'm just a huge fan of wordplay. Q1 is a fave quiz, as are many others on TV. I'm just not the competative type myself. I'm more a Bamber Gascoine-like geek. My fun comes in making up the quizzes ... then watch everyone trying to solve them.

I was probably a member of the Spanish Inquisition in a previous incarnation. :lol:

Dadaist was probably one of Borgia Popes in his last incarnation. His quizzes are masterclasses in brainstorming! :D

User avatar
arachnid
Posts: 1291
Joined: 10 Jul 2005, 22:33
Location: Linlithgow

Post by arachnid » 26 Nov 2006, 18:42

AAA Tripoli was staring at it all the time. Thud thud of head on desk
Had loked at and rejected Nancy as too camp. How wrong.
Armagh huh![/quote]

Sorry soupdragon :cry:
I've done the very same thing as you with some of the questions. I have an answer to them, and then think," no, that can't be the right" and decide not to put it in, and then someone else thinks of the same answer, writes it in and they get it right!!! ](*,) C'est la vie eh!!!!

Congrats. on all the questions that you did get though!! Well done!! \:D/
Why be scared????

rapunzell
Posts: 1173
Joined: 30 Sep 2005, 12:58
Location: by the prom
Contact:

Post by rapunzell » 26 Nov 2006, 19:29

Oooh, that was good, thanks Cleopas and fellow competitors!

That's the last time I try to do it by just thinking about the questions though; next time I'm using google, maps, atlases and neighbours.. :roll:

User avatar
arachnid
Posts: 1291
Joined: 10 Jul 2005, 22:33
Location: Linlithgow

Post by arachnid » 26 Nov 2006, 19:55

sounds like a good excuse for a party!!!! :lol:
Why be scared????

User avatar
Bob Jefferson
Posts: 6212
Joined: 11 Dec 2004, 21:16
Location: Planet Porty
Contact:

Post by Bob Jefferson » 26 Nov 2006, 20:13

Well done everyone. As you may have noticed, I used my usual tactic of getting in early doors and picking off the easy ones before resting on my laurels. I think I did just enough to stay top but I'm a bit concerned about Soupers coming up on the rails. I think we should end the season on 31 Dec and until then I'll try to take the quiz into a corner and waste time.

Cleopas

Post by Cleopas » 26 Nov 2006, 22:06

Bob wrote:
I think we should end the season on 31 Dec and until then I'll try to take the quiz into a corner and waste time.
Pardon?? :shock:

Would you mind running that by me just one more time ... slowly ... saying what you mean?? :evil:

Are you *choke* stopping the ... the quizzes :cry: *sob*?? But ... but ... but ... it's my life!! My dreams! How can you do this to me?? All my work :cry: :cry: *sob sob* ... the next 20 quizzes I've prepared. *sob* :cry: *sob* What ... what did I do?????

You heartless beast *bangs fists uselessly on desk* you didn't even *sob* :cry: *choke* consult with me! I'm ... *sob* :cry: ... devastated!

I appeal to you ... well, maybe not in a physical sense, but then ... you're no catch either! ... :cry: :cry:

Waitasec ... you said season!! Does this mean I get to continue after The New Year?? Like just a kinda Festive Break mid-season break?? :shock: *perks up a bit* ... Maybe you're not so bad after all. I never believed the stories going round about you. Well, maybe not half of them anyway. You've always been fair with me ... even if you aren't completely house-trained.

Okay ... what kinda break you talking about for the "season"??? The PMs I got complaining on that alone already. What answer for my Legions of Fans, O High Heid Yin of the Forum? :wink:

User avatar
Bob Jefferson
Posts: 6212
Joined: 11 Dec 2004, 21:16
Location: Planet Porty
Contact:

Post by Bob Jefferson » 26 Nov 2006, 22:19

Hey, don't get your knickers in a twist man. I just mean, let's end the season sometime soon so I get to win and play in the Champions League next season. After that, you can do what you like.

Cleopas

Post by Cleopas » 26 Nov 2006, 22:37

Champions League?? :shock:

Yeah, why not? Play-offs with the Division One players ... one-on-one ... sets of questions for each to answer (really hard stinkers for you of course!) ... quarter-finals, semis ... and then the BIG ONE! Okay, you sold me! I like it ... :)

When do we start?? :D :D

User avatar
SoupDragon
Posts: 2201
Joined: 03 Oct 2006, 11:02

Post by SoupDragon » 26 Nov 2006, 22:38

You could always transfer , Bob.
Keep going Cleopas, he's not the boss of you. Or is Bob really Vlad the Impaler of Tyncastle in which case we should all run.. fast...NOW

Cleopas

Post by Cleopas » 27 Nov 2006, 00:13

Bob wrote:
... so I get to win ...
You see! You see! He's throwing down the gauntlet to the rest of you!!!

Like I said before ... are you going to let him get away with this???

Bob thinks he will win! And he IS in pole position. Whatcha gonna do???

It's up to you to stop him. You just have to get in earlier ... as many of you that can ... and cuff him to the ground! Yes ... gub him senseless by beating him at his own game ... er ... my game!

This ... in the immortal words of Bugs Bunny ... means war, doc!!!

Bob? You're going DOWN!!! :lol: :lol:

Cleopas

Post by Cleopas » 28 Nov 2006, 23:12

I'll do the next quiz next week ... Friday 8th December ... if that's okay with everyone. It IS just a suggestion, so if you have alternative preferences ... please write in. If Friday's no good, we pick the best time for getting as many players as possible at the same time/date. That way everyone starts at the same time, so everyone gets a fair chance of beating Bob with the early ones, okay?? :)

User avatar
Maria
Posts: 4795
Joined: 12 Nov 2003, 19:41
Location: Portobello
Contact:

Post by Maria » 28 Nov 2006, 23:15

If you add up everyone's points Cleopas, I'll update the leader board.
www.porty.org.uk

Cleopas

Post by Cleopas » 28 Nov 2006, 23:38

Already and done for you on page 7, Marya. I took a leaflet out of your book and created league tables. Each one is for over 10, then 20. Hope that's okay. If not, admin is free to reorganise at their own discretion.

Thank you. :)

User avatar
Maria
Posts: 4795
Joined: 12 Nov 2003, 19:41
Location: Portobello
Contact:

Post by Maria » 28 Nov 2006, 23:45

Oops sorry Cleopas I missed that :oops: Thanks!
www.porty.org.uk

Cleopas

Post by Cleopas » 01 Dec 2006, 00:28

So how about it everyyone ... Place-name Quiz #8 next Friday 8th at 7.30pm (ish)???

Replies please.

Thang yew .... let's get Bob beat!!! :lol: :lol:

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 01 Dec 2006, 00:39

Yes, I should be in so suits me fine. Seem to be losing my touch though :?

User avatar
SoupDragon
Posts: 2201
Joined: 03 Oct 2006, 11:02

Post by SoupDragon » 01 Dec 2006, 12:21

Think I should be around. Will be taking an atlas to bed with me for the next week.

User avatar
arachnid
Posts: 1291
Joined: 10 Jul 2005, 22:33
Location: Linlithgow

Post by arachnid » 01 Dec 2006, 21:59

teddygirl wrote:Yes, I should be in so suits me fine. Seem to be losing my touch though :?
Me too!!!!
Why be scared????

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 01 Dec 2006, 22:23

Been to any of the antique fairs at Ingliston recently Arachnid ? It's the last one of the year next week-end.

User avatar
arachnid
Posts: 1291
Joined: 10 Jul 2005, 22:33
Location: Linlithgow

Post by arachnid » 01 Dec 2006, 22:31

Was there a few weeks ago.
Mr. Arachnid bought me a small " Bellek" vase :lol:
He bought himself another " Border Fine Arts" owl which he collects!
We're running out of room to put the things we buy!!! :roll:
Need a bigger house!!! :wink:
Not sure if we're going next week yet, are you going?
Why be scared????

Cleopas

Post by Cleopas » 01 Dec 2006, 22:40

Welsh veggie rings like porcelain ...
or
Leslie Phillips says Ding-Dong before a small scream of surprise ...

Answer ............... Belleek!!

How's that for clues to a specific collectible?? :D

User avatar
arachnid
Posts: 1291
Joined: 10 Jul 2005, 22:33
Location: Linlithgow

Post by arachnid » 01 Dec 2006, 22:56

Cleopas wrote:Welsh veggie rings like porcelain ...
or
Leslie Phillips says Ding-Dong before a small scream of surprise ...

Answer ............... Belleek!!

How's that for clues to a specific collectible?? :D
Good ones Cleopas! Your awful clever!!! :lol:
Why be scared????

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 01 Dec 2006, 23:05

arachnid wrote:Was there a few weeks ago.
Mr. Arachnid bought me a small " Bellek" vase :lol:
He bought himself another " Border Fine Arts" owl which he collects!
We're running out of room to put the things we buy!!! :roll:
Need a bigger house!!! :wink:
Not sure if we're going next week yet, are you going?
I was there too, haven't missed one this year. I've got a few Belleek honey pots and rather a lot of Border Fine Arts (two owls) so we have some things in common.
I'll be going next week but don't expect it to be very good as it was cancelled and then rescheduled but a lot of the dealers are going to Newark instead.
However it's a good day out with the girls and we stop off at Dobbies on the way home. :D

User avatar
arachnid
Posts: 1291
Joined: 10 Jul 2005, 22:33
Location: Linlithgow

Post by arachnid » 01 Dec 2006, 23:16

Gosh, if it was the Sunday, we could've " spladooshed each other!!! :lol:
I'll let you know if we're going next week, it would be the Sunday again if we are!
I love walking round it, spend much of my time saying, " I remember we had the in our house when we were little"!!! Or, " we used to have one of those"!!! Brings back lots of memories!!!! :lol:
Every time we go we say that we'll only be there for an hour or two and end up staying much longer!!! :lol:
Why be scared????

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 01 Dec 2006, 23:23

Och, Arachnid, we always go on the Saturday so no spladooshing for the time being. I know what you mean about "we used to have one of those", it's great fun.
Do you ever have anything to eat there ? It was diabolical last time, it just gets worse and worse. :cry: .........one of the reasons we stop off at Dobbies, to get a nice coffee and a cream cake =P~ :lol:

User avatar
arachnid
Posts: 1291
Joined: 10 Jul 2005, 22:33
Location: Linlithgow

Post by arachnid » 01 Dec 2006, 23:29

Do you ever have anything to eat there ? It was diabolical last time, it just gets worse and worse. .........one of the reasons we stop off at Dobbies, to get a nice coffee and a cream cake
Not really, we just tend to eat when we get home, did get a wee cuppa tea from the man going round with the trolley though, nice and hot!!! :lol:
Why be scared????

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 01 Dec 2006, 23:36

We usually get there about 11am and don't leave until about 2 or 3 o'clock so we need some sustenance to keep us going. Might have to take our own sarnies with us if things don't improve. Saltire catering do the food so not to be recommended.

Cleopas

Post by Cleopas » 02 Dec 2006, 09:31

Encase wheel in a polymer with a dash of sodium chloride ... Saltire. (Tyre + Salt)

Tyre ... made from rubber ... types of rubber have chemical names. Rubbers are basically polymers. And just about everyone knows common table salt is Sodium Chloride. Therefore it was easy to make this clue

See how you can do this kind of clue with just about anything?? I think everyone on this forum is capable enough to come up with a quiz of their own devising. This is how I do it for the place names.

Nelson Hatstand is having a go ... which is great ... I'm waiting on Dadaist to throw in one of his mind-bogglers ... no reason anyone else can't do it too.

Go on ... you know you want to ... :D :D

Post Reply